Wednesday 11 June 2014

Fail?

Happy Hump Day everyone!

So. Kids. There is a reason why all the recipes I have come across call for half white flour and half whole-wheat flour in burger buns. I had made them before, following the original recipe to the letter (without wheat gluten). They had turned out wonderfully soft and fluffy.

This time...not so much! They were definitely...crusty. They tasted great, and would made great dinner roll or bread - just not the ideal burger buns!

I got the original recipe for Holy Cow Vegan: Whole Wheat Burger Buns.



















Nevertheless, it was a delicious meal. These chickpea/sweet potato burgers just never disappoint!

Here goes:

- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 medium sweet potato, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 of an onion, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup oats, processed into coarse flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I use Panko)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste

In a food processor, process the oats with the almonds (until coarsely chopped), then add the chickpeas and process until mostly smooth.
Place mixture in a large bowl. Add all other ingredients, mix well and form patties.
These burgers can be baked (about 12 minutes each side), or barbecued until slightly charred (our favourite).

Serve with hummus, lettuce, pickle and tomato on a SOFT (haha) burger bun. A-MA-ZING.

............................................

It has been a few days of life without the bathroom scale. So far, so good. I feel like I am forced to listen to my body even more, eating nutritious foods when I am hungry and stopping before I feel too full.
I disregarded my hunger/satiety cues for so may years, I am still learning to recognize them.

Alright peeps, I am off for a quick post-dinner walk with the dog, then it will be time for some studying, powered by some herbal tea and an almond butter ball or two!

Have a lovely rest of your week, and I will most likely be posting on Sunday - I have a fun game in store!

By the way - if anyone knows of a healthy recipe for SOFT burger buns that does not include white flour, please let me know in the comments below :)







No comments:

Post a Comment