Sunday 8 June 2014

Ditching it

I am that person. The one who posts pictures of her meals on Facebook. I do it because I am proud of them, but I realize that, maybe, not every one of my friends wants to see what I made for dinner. I know that some of you out there might though - just like I cannot get enough of blogs like Oh She Glows, No Meat AthleteFitSugar and Holy Cow to name a few. Enter this blog. If you are interested in nutrition, then come check it out.

I have never been a private person. Most people around me know that I have struggled with an eating disorder, that I currently battle infertility.

Over the past few years, I have freed myself from negative self-talk, calorie-counting, binge-eating and alcohol. I have discovered a passion for cooking healthy recipes and baking decadent treats (a good balance, I think!), and embraced my passion for nutrition. I am learning every day to love my body and accept myself for who I am, even when I don't love what I see in the mirror.

There is just one more thing that needs to go. Dun dun dun dun..... THE SCALE.

Since I was 11 or 12, I have been weighing myself every single day, usually twice a day, as a feeble attempt to feel "in control". What has happened instead, is that the scale has been ruling my life, dictating whether I should feel good about myself or not on a given day.

So it is time. Time to ditch it. I figure that blogging will keep me accountable and honest with myself on this journey. It is very scary for me to think that, come tomorrow, I won't know how much I weigh. The irrational fear is that, without the scale and its illusion of control, I will get bigger and bigger. Deep down, I know that it's a ridiculous way to think. I know that I will most likely just maintain my weight if I keep listening to my body and treating it with respect.

Now there is one question left...what the heck should I do with the scale? I could give it to a friend, but it would feel like handing out a poisoned apple. I could just leave it in the "donation box" of my recycling depot. I could smash it with a hammer , as one of my girlfriends suggested, but it would feel like a waste.

Any ideas?

To whomever is reading this, thank you for visiting my blog! I will be testing and reviewing recipes, sharing my own from time to time, and just writing about my quest for eating life in general.

Stay tuned!

I shall leave you with a couple of pictures of Maggie, our odd looking and poorly behaved dog, that The Husband and I love so much!






No comments:

Post a Comment