Tuesday 5 August 2014

Homemade "Laraballs"

Hello!

I am really getting into the "meat and potatoes" of my marathon training program. 68 days to go until the race! I ran 15 miles on Saturday, and my next long run will have me cover 17 miles. No weird aches and pains so far - crossing fingers!
I have, however, been feeling a little weak, a little slow. There was a time, last year, when my friend Jennie and I would run some crazy hills like the wind! Now I find myself breathing hard and wanting to take walking breaks once in a while. 
It is time to add some strength training to my routine. Gym, here I come (barf)!

In my quest for handy running snacks, I attempted some Peanut Butter / Chocolate Chip Laraballs - energy balls inspired by my favourite flavor of Larabars. 

























Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip "Laraballs":

- 1 cup dates, soaked for at least 30 mins and drained
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp crunchy all-natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips

In a food processor, process dates, salt, vanilla extract and peanut butter until a thick paste forms. This can take several minutes, and you may have to scrapes the sides of the food processor a few times. 
Pulse in the chocolate chips. 
Line a cookie sheet that fits in your freezer with parchment paper. 
This is when it gets messy! Form balls by rolling dough between the palms of your hands. This recipe makes about 12 balls. 
Freeze for at least 20 minutes, then store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
I will try wrapping the balls individually and taking a couple on my next run. 

We'll see how that goes...

Good night everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment