Wednesday 17 September 2014

Flourless Cookies and Portable Oatmeal

Happy Wednesday!

I'm on fire in the kitchen today. I have a chili on the go, I just experimented with a couple of recipes that turned out wonderfully, and I am planning on making zucchini cornbread later today. 
I happen to have mid-week day off to make up for the past weekend worked (which I worked to make up for our visit to the Kootenays). Anyway. This is a very welcome day off. 
We have some crisp blue sky, mild temperatures and bright fall colors outside. Love, love, love. 

The first recipe that I was inspired to create this morning is for flourless peanut butter cookies, which taste decadent while packing a nutritional punch. Each jumbo cookie has about 350 calories and 12g of protein. I try not to count calories - which is tough since I happen to know the calorie content of almost everything - but I thought some of you out there might want to have this information. 

I won't keep you waiting any longer....here is the recipe!

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies:

- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/3 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp hearts
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup all-natural peanut butter (I used the crunchy variety, but smooth works just fine)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F. Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, and drop balls of dough onto baking sheet (I used a silicon baking mat, but otherwise you might want to lightly grease your baking sheet). Flatten slightly with a spatula. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. 
Let cool completely on a wire rack before devouring! This recipe makes 9 jumbo cookies. 

Before baking



















After baking, and before disappearing!



















.....................

As the Victoria marathon gets closer (less than a month to go!), I am starting to think about what foods I will eat on race day. While training this summer, a big bowl of oatmeal is what has worked best for me before long runs. I found myself wondering how I was going to be able to make good quality oatmeal in my hotel room on the morning of the race. This morning, I had a lightbulb moment: why not make PORTABLE oatmeal? I basically made my usual stovetop oatmeal into a baked and portable breakfast. 
Happy!

Portable Oatmeal:

- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups large flake oats

Preheat oven to 375F. Grease 4 half cup ramequins (a jumbo muffin pan would work as well). 
Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, and scoop into ramequins. Pack tightly. 
Bake for about 20 minutes, then broil for 3 minutes. 
As soon as the ramequins are cool enough to handle, place oatmeal on a wire rack so that the bottom doesn't get soggy. 

Each dense baked oatmeal portion contains about 300 calories and 8g of protein. You can, of course, play around with the recipe and substitute your favorite oatmeal ingredients!






































Enjoy the rest of your week! 


No comments:

Post a Comment