Wednesday 23 July 2014

Sweet Potato and Peanut Butter Muffins

Hello hello,

I hope everyone is having a fantastic start to their week! Mine has been busy, as usual. Study, run, eat, work, eat, study, sleep, repeat. Why do I do this to myself?

Nutrition is super-important for all of us living fast paced-lives. I am always trying to come up with ways to sneak extra vitamins and minerals in my diet, especially in the form of veggies. 
There was one thing that I have been too chicken to try until now....THE GREEN SMOOTHIE.
Yes, I did what I swore I would never do: I added spinach to my smoothie.
Let me tell you, I was shaking in my boots before drinking this thing!

























Verdict? It wasn't that bad. You can't really taste the spinach when there is a banana in there. Still, I would rather eat my veggies than drink them. I will attempt the green smoothie again in the near future though!

Speaking of healthy snacks, I whipped up these peanut butter and sweet potato muffins a few nights ago. I was intrigued by this strange flavor combination that I had seen on a few blogs, so I decided to give it a go (tweaking the original recipes, of course). I was expecting these muffins to be very dense, but they were surprisingly light and fluffy! I loved them and would definitely make them again.



















Sweet Potato and Peanut Butter Muffins:  (makes 9 muffins)

- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice (I used whole milk, but even almond milk would work well)
- 3/4 cup sweet potato, cooked and pureed
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup all natural peanut butter (I used the crunchy kind)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (I just grind oats in the food processor)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder

Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly grease a muffin pan.
In a medium bowl, whisk together applesauce, milk, sweet potato, oil, vanilla, egg, maple syrup and peanut butter.
In a large bowl, combine oat flour, whole-wheat flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
Pour the wet ingredients over dry, and mix until just combined.
Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan, and bake for about 20 minutes.



















Ta-Da!
.....................

In other news, our garden is doing really well!
I just went and grabbed some fixings for dinner: lettuce, tomatoes and dill. Thank you, Husband and Mother-in-law for all your gardening! I am now reaping the rewards of your hard work, hee hee hee.

























'Night y'all!


No comments:

Post a Comment